17 May, 2010

Monarch butterfly


Monarch butterfly, originally uploaded by Hazelnutgirl.
We like to have lots of swan plants in our garden and consequently produce lots and lots of Monarch butterflies! This year there were so many plants scattered throughout the garden we were finding chrysalises on all sorts of things, including the underneath of rhubarb leaves and on the bean plants. When they get harvested accidentally we bring them in to hatch. We've had 5 so far. This one came out last week, while we weren't looking of course! They really are quite gorgeous, although this one didn't want to open his wings to show me the true glory, but he looked quite striking against the red glass jug we had the leaves draped across (and the one tied on to the paintbrush handle).

5 comments:

  1. That's an incredible shot! I shall keep my fingers crossed that you manage to see one hatch, and that you have your camera handy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a gorgeous photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love butterflies! We just planted our first butterfly garden and I hope to see many butterflies this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're tricky little buggers, they only seem to hatch in the 10 minutes
    you're doing something else. A handful of times I've found them just a
    minute or so after emerging, and once one emerged as I was standing next to
    it watching Hazel do something. But never when you're looking!

    Have you ever read China Mieville's 'Perdido Street Station'? I highly
    highly recommend it if you haven't. It's one of my all-time favourites. And
    if you have all I need to say is "Slake Moth" to explain why I find
    butterflies slightly creepy nowadays :/ But who can pass up a good photo
    opportunity?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails