31 July, 2011

AMQG Challenge

AMQG pillow challenge fabric, originally uploaded by Hazelnutgirl.

The first challenge for the Auckland Modern Quilt Guild members has been set - a cushion - and I'm really excited! It's my first challenge so I don't know exactly how open to be about what I'm thinking of doing or not - are people all secret-squirrel about their intentions or generally open? I'd love to share how I'm going (I almost typed journey there but that would have been more than a little pretentious, I can't believe the word even entered my mind! And that I'm sharing it with you!), but I'm competitive enough not to want to get pipped at the post because I shared too much. Not that I really think that would happen to be perfectly honest, maybe I'd just like for it to be a surprise?

Anyways, this is the fabric we have, I don't know who the designer is or anything, it's not on my bit of selvedge. We have a fat eighth and we have to use at least half of it, so can enter two pillows if we like. I have some of my fabrics already and at least one pattern in mind - and it's not due until the 1st December, so I have heaps of time. Perhaps I won't even leave it till the last minute!

It's going to be so interesting to see what people come up with, there is such a diversity of people in our group; we vary widely in age, experience and taste. I know at least one person who was focusing on many of the same FQ as I was when I grabbed some after our meeting, but I bet even that doesn't mean our cushions will be at all alike!

4 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued, I didn't realise a 'guild' set challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good fun, I can't wait to see your 'journey'. I hope you win........ though of course that's it true, as it will be just interesting to see the different results -please share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I guess the key thing is that we really are a 'guild' in that we don't actually train people up or become involved in standards or mysterious handshakes so we have to keep ourselves entertained! At least, if there are secret handshakes I don't know about it. This is the first quilting guild I've belonged to, but I gather challenges are pretty traditional and are certainly not something invented by the modern versions. I think other craft guilds do similar things, my mum belonged to weaving and spinning guilds and they used to do challenges like sheep to shawl events.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails