14 September, 2012

Lilla Handlebar Basket

Waaaay back in March I bought the Lilla Handlebar Basket pattern from Hemma design and ordered oilcloth and started out to make Hazel a basket. I got about 1/3 of the way in and it kind of fell by the wayside. There was a lot of gluing involved and I couldn't seem co-ordinate myself to do the gluing at times when I could let it dry and then get on to the sewing later. A couple weeks ago I had a fit of wanting to get some UFOs finished, and this was one of them (I still have too many to list here though).

One of the things that prodded me in to doing it was Hazel wanting to take stuffed animals with her on rides but not being able to since we've taken off the little doll's seat at the back of her bike. So for all your stuffed animal transport needs:

Untitled

If you look at the pattern photo, you'll see Hazel didn't want to mess with perfection in terms of which oilcloth we used, which was fine by me! I ordered mine from La Cuisine and it came super-fast. I've never used oilcloth before but it seems nice and it's not horrible and thick like I always think of oilcloth being. It sewed up really easily too, I was surprised that I had no issues with my foot sticking to it, and the needle went through easily. I had some tension issues, and the seams looked a bit untidy but other than on the flower at the front they aren't visible anyways so it didn't really matter. The pattern itself went together very nicely, even if there is a lot of gluing, but I had to do a bit of fiddling to make sure the lining pieces were the right size for the outer before committing myself with the glue! Parts of the lining were too small, and parts were a bit too big, and it's not like you can stretch or ease oilcloth to fit!



Untitled

She hasn't used it as a handbag yet, but I wouldn't recommend carrying heavy things in it, the handles are only held on with a narrow hem at the top. It's also a bit of a bitch to get on and off because the straps are very thick and don't bend easily.

8 comments:

  1. Very spiffy - although I don't know why the kids go off the little dolls seat on the back - as my daughter also decided her one was unnecessary (although I still thought it was cute and very useful!) I don't see any sort of drainage holes - so I take it it needs to be housed out of rain, or taken off after use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be prepared to start making them for all of Hazel's friends because it is super pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it's funny the doll seat thing, but she's only just started to want to lug the stuffed animals around again so the seat wasn't missed for ages. I thought it was such a brilliant idea when we first got the bike though!
    The basket doesn't have drainage holes in it, and is lined with fabric so no I don't think it's designed to be left on the bike. We did leave it on one day at school and it got rained on and didn't suffer any ill-effects but I don't imagine the quilting cotton would stand up to too much of that, or exposure to the NZ sun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did briefly consider making another for a birthday present for a friend and then quickly changed my mind! I might make one for me though :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you describe this super cute, polka dotty, flower bedecked basket as a bitch to put on! You are my kind of woman!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will not be showing this picture to my children as at least two of them will want it!! And since Auntie Jacket is already overloaded with projects we won't add the queue :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't often have people complimenting me on my bad language but I'll take it - honesty in reviews and all that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Probably a good move on your part - they'd be disappointed and stop liking me when they didn't arrive.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails