28 November, 2012

Null set

null set

It's been a bit like that on the blog lately hasn't it! This is an empty block I'm going to embroider {null set} on for the math quilt I'm making - it was Mat's idea and I was mostly just humouring him with it at first, but I'm kind of taken with it now! The embroidery is my idea though, just to make the joke a bit more obvious ;) The font is Helvetica. Mostly I've been beavering away on the quilt, girding my loins in order to make myself some clothes, and crocheting away like mad on a few secret projects and a lot of snowflakes. Must get some photos of those, they're kind of cool! I'm trying to beat the Xmas mailing deadlines so I can get all the gifts off to Canada and the States. My parents are heading to New York to spend Christmas with my brother and his wife, the lucky things! Christmas in NY is high on my bucket list. I think the closest I'll get in the near future is summer in Edmonton, but actually that's kind of ok too :) Ummm...what else. Not much really! Hopefully once the other presents are sent off I'll have a chance to work on my clothes and do a bit more relaxing stuff I can blog about :)

I promised my dad that I'd put up some photos of the partial eclipse we had a couple weeks ago. It was a lot of fun watching it via a pinhole in a piece of cardboard - surprisingly effective for such a basic setup! I think we had about 60-odd% coverage here in Auckland and even just with that the light went all strange. I remember seeing a full one when I was a kid, I hope that wasn't the only chance I'll get in my life!

Partial solar eclipse. I've been watching it with the classic pinhole in a piece of cardboard but couldn't resist taking a photo through some cloud that came over. All very exciting! #eclipse #solareclipse #auckland #sun #cloud

I also tried taking a photo straight in to the sun in order to get a lens flare - look at the little eclipse it shows!

Little eclipse in the lens flare - what a neat effect! Wish I'd tried it when the eclipse was more complete.

Eclipse shadows - quite by accident I put the pieces of viewing card down where the sun was shining through some jasmine leaves and noticed that the pinhole effect of the sun shining through the gaps in the leaves was showing the eclipse naturally!


Eclipse shadows - quite by accident I put the pieces of viewing card down where the sun was shining through some jasmine leaves and noticed that the pinhole effect of the sun shining through the gaps in the leaves was showing the eclipse naturally!

I feel a bit stupid admitting this, but I'd never realised that circles in things like lens flares and light shining through leaves are there because the sun is round. See, old dogs can learn new tricks!

5 comments:

  1. The null set idea is really cool - looking forward to seeing it done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know whether you have seen these before (I hadn't - but then sometimes I think I live under a rock), but I thought you might like them http://echinopsaster.blogspot.co.nz/2012/11/crochet-fabric-jane-austen.html#more

    ReplyDelete
  3. Math quilt? Share!

    And thanks for the eclipse photos! We were within the partial eclipse area for the solar eclipse in the spring, but it rained here that day. :( I did get a photo from my sister who was within the area of totality, and I probably annoyed all the people I was dining with by sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice that you're back! I always enjoy reading your posts and admiring your photos and projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, that's so funny; I also took photos of the light shining through the trees in our back yard. I felt very excited and a bit sciency to discover it too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails