02 December, 2012

Crocheted snowflakes

Crochet snowflakes

I think I'm kind of addicted to making these! I've spent quite a lot of time trolling Ravelry and Pinterest for various patterns, and I know I've only skimmed the surface! I really need to get one of those '1001 Snowflakes to Crochet' kind of books, but of course they're all out of the library at this time of the year.

I've been experimenting with different hook sizes and with two different yarns - both 8-ply but one is slightly felted and I think it shows off the patterns slightly better, but they're both fine.

The most common one up there is from Attic24's wonderful tutorial - if you haven't made snowflakes before I highly recommend starting with that one and it gives you all the skills you need to move on to other variations. They're really quite simple once you get going. I've stiffened them with a mixture of PVA glue and water, directions are here. My solution was probably more like 70/30 water and PVA than 50/50 though, I didn't want them to be too stiff.

Other patterns I've used are:
My favorite snowflake
Snowflake ornament at Redheart
Drops Snow Stars
Quick Picot Snowflake (also available as a free class from Craftsy)
Not pictured is Meet Met At Mike's stars which I tried last night - quite a different technique and look than these ones (not surprisingly considering they're stars!), but still fun.

Crochet snowflakes

8 comments:

  1. these are completely gorgeous. no wonder you are addicted. they look so pretty and satisfying to complete. I totally love them! might have to give one a try - thank you for including the links to patterns, although, I have all kinds of weird colourful wool in my kit at the moment so they may look pretty odd...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you like a crochet morning/afternoon this week maybe? I could bring the sewing machine and poster around too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just looking at garlands of these on etsy! Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are just way too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. would totally love to. would tuesday morning work for you? otherwise I could do friday afternoon - I just have a dentist appt in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! These look awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog is lovely and your sewing/crochet/craft projects inspired. Have just tweeted about a couple of them #like
    Cheers, Liz aka The One-Handed Cook

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are gorgeous Jacqui! So jealous. I have tried crochet, sucked as much at it as I do at knitting.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails